Welcome to Safe home building inspections
The combined Building and pest Inspection is the most popular, giving you absolute peace of mind in relation to both defects and termite issues. The inspection report can range from 80-110 pages with color photographs, is emailed to you on the day and you get to speak to the inspector until 11 p.m. - the inspector does not turn off his phone at 5 p.m. After 12 years we have worked out what people want - what major defects are present, what safety hazards exist, what needs to be fixed right away, what can wait and what sort of costs are involved.
Termites are present throughout Victoria. Some people believe termites do not infest brick homes built on slabs but this can be a disastrous assumption to make. We agree that some areas are more termite prone than others, but we've found them in just about every suburb over the years. After 12 years doing both building and pest inspections, we can confidently say that 1 in 8 houses we have inspected has termite damage or live termites which is far better odds than our northern states. Please do not risk not getting a termite inspection as we have seen rectification costs range from $3000 to $450,000.
Handover inspection are carried out on new homes just completed, normally prior to making the final payment. The handover inspections are based on approximately 800 defects that are listed in the Guide to Standards and Tolerances 2015. These are complicated as there are items a builder has to fix and some he doesn't. For example some defects are not defects if they can only be seen from less than 1.5 meters. Once we have finished the handover inspection, you will be able confidently approach your builder with a detailed report of defects with photographs cross referenced to the Guide to Standards and Tolerances and the National Construction Code.
Building and pest inspections in Melbourne
WHY YOU SHOULD USE MY SERVICE
- I am a fully qualified Building Inspector with 12 Years Experience and over 10,000 inspections.
- Peter Lalor is a fully qualified Building Inspector and Building Surveyor who can assist in any building permit applications, 137B own builder defect reports, illegal works assistance and the like.
- Douglas, who works with me is a fully qualified Brick Layer and Timber pest inspector who has worked with me since 2009.
- We are fully insured with $1,000,000.00 professional indemnity insurance.
- We have never had an insurance claim in 12 years.
- We offer unlimited and free consultation to help you.
- We inspect for over 1000 potential defects.
- We offer unbeatable customer service - You can speak to the actual Building Inspector up until 11 pm to clarify findings.
- All Building Inspection Reports are emailed to you on the same day with high
- We are members of the renowned Master Builders Association of Victoria.
- We were engaged to put together a full defects list for an inspection application being used around the world today.
- Our Services are requested by the majority Melbourne’s leading lawyers, conveyancers, buyer’s advocates and mortgage brokers.
WHO CAN BE A QUALIFIED BUILDING INSPECTOR
To be a qualified building inspectors one must have completed a Degree or Diploma of Building Surveying or Advanced Diploma of Building Surveying. This extensive course is aimed at identifying defects and non-compliant building works by builders and tradespersons, issuing building permits, conducting mandatory constructions stage inspections, 137B defects reports and the like. A carpenter or a registered builder cannot claim to be a qualified building inspector.
ARE ALL HOUSE INSPECTORS QUALIFIED?
The simple answer is No. To conduct pre-purchase building inspections you don't have to have any experience of qualifications. It is an unregulated environment and we've been pushing to have it regulated so people doing these house inspections have some tertiary qualification. Ultimately, one inexperienced or unqualified inspector can give us all a bad reputation which is not right.
TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY?
It's big decision to buy a home and just as big a decision to engage a building inspector who knows what he is doing, is qualified, experienced and fully insured.
WHAT'S IT ALL COST
Costs vary from business to business. Fees for a building and pest inspection in Melbourne can range from $400 to $900. We have done our homework and a fully aware that the cheaper fees and normally associated with new start up businesses or persons who are not qualified building inspectors. There is a saying in the building industry which is very true - "If you think a professional is expensive, then wait until you hire an amateur" Our fees can be found on the Cost page.